Learn how to make filigree jewellery with Canadian Filigree Artist Milt Fischbein. Milt will teach you the fundamentals of making filigree jewellery. At the end of this workshop, you will have created a beautiful filigree pendant set with a cabochon stone and you will have the knowledge to continue making beautiful filigree objects on your own.
Filigree is an ancient technique that involves the creation of lace-like silver jewellery out of fine silver wires. Using very basic tools, beautiful objects are made by twisting and curling fine silver threads and soldering them into carefully crafted frames.
In this workshop, you will learn the basics of filigree and will create a lovely filigree pendant. You will learn how to prepare fine silver filigree wires and form them into lacey filigree shapes. You will then learn how to create sterling silver frames and how to solder the lacey filigree wire into the frames to create beautiful filigree jewellery.
You will also learn :
- Design basics for making filigree pendants
- How to fabricate a traditional filigree bail
- How to select the appropriate tools for making filigree
- How to make a number of different lacey filigree shapes
- Filigree Soldering with both paste and traditional filigree powder solders.
- Incorporating bezel set cabochon stones into your filigree designs
**Material Kit: $75.00 Provided by the instructor and paid for directly to the instructor on the first day of the workshop. Includes some basic filigree tools and enough silver and other materials to make several filigree pendants.
(Intro to Silversmithing Course required; if you have other beginner experience please get in contact with us via e-mail or phone to determine eligibility)